Thursday, August 30, 2007

new tactic

just keep the fingers moving! I'm taking a quick break to share my success story and my line of the day (so far).

Okay, success story -- I made one file that combines all the files in my NaNoWriMo folder, and though some of the files have repeat material, Adam tells me it can still count. And so my total word count: 38,405. I can totally do 12k between today and tomorrow, so I can still pull myself out of this yet. Of course, that will still leave the even more difficult NaNoReMo, because to sift through and revise this stuff will be a challenge, but hey, that's part of the process, right?

Okay, and my line of the day goes along with my new tactic to just keep the fingers going.

***** Alright, so destruction. Don’t stop typing. I know you’re stuck, but this is what you have to learn to do – to push through the stuck. You’re not really stuck; you’re just resting. There are two grown ladies at the next table smearing their hands with blue paint and rubbing them together, and now they’re making handprints on paper. But they’re grown ladies. Yes, grown ladies. I mean, come on now, and the smell of the paint is strangely salty and chloriny, and it’s giving me a headache. They’re grown women acting like children. Maybe they’re teachers or something, planning a lesson, but why are they doing it in a coffee shop instead of at school or one of their houses? Unrelated, I know, but moments like this, if they don’t end up in this story, can worm there way into another. Grown women finger painting in a coffee shop, that seems like it’s worth something. And at least my fingers are going. As soon as adam stops grown women are joined by a third, and of course they’re all going to paint. Maybe adam and I should play duck duck goose.

Okay, back on track, so destruction.

No comments: