Monday, August 13, 2007

Day 13--Lucky 13, not!

Okay, this is getting to be a Monday morning habit I want broken right now. I opened my email when I got to work this morning to discover a rejection from The First Line, a very nice rejection with a personal note attached, but a rejection nevertheless. This is the second Monday in a row this has happened and I want it stopped--now!

On a happier note, writing went very well today. I had a grand total of 3 customers today, one single and one couple, so I had plenty of writing time at work and I did, write I mean. It was a jolt when I got over 1000 words and realized there were no fruity popsicles in the freezer to have as a reward. (drat) But I forged on like the good little stubborn German girl I am. I'm off tomorrow so I will be near frozen fruity goodness when 1000 rolls around.

Line of the day:
Fay never admitted it, even to herself, but that Sunday encounter left her with a life long crush on Fearless Leader. She looked for him whenever she saw a line of motorcycles outside a bar or restaurant. Her head would come up and her eyes dart to the window whenever one roared past the café. A group of them passing her on the highway would send her swerving to the shoulder to stop and watch them go by, hoping against hope to see Fearless Leader’s silver ponytail and beard waving at her from under a midnight blue helmet. They never came back to the café and no one ever saw them again. What Fay and Naomi did not know was that the group of bikers was made up of one district attorney (Fearless Leader), two doctors (Mom’s Revenge and Road Rash), an artist and a gallery owner (Thunderpants and Black Lightning, a homosexual couple), an accountant (Mud Face), an insurance agency owner (Splat), and a broker (Flats). All of whom lived in the next county, had short hair (Fearless Leader’s ponytail was a hairpiece--do not ever tell Fay), none of whom had tattoos (they bought up all the press-on tattoos the dollar store had to offer, well, except for the ones of flowers and kitties), but who dressed up in their leathers and bandanas to take long weekend rides to unwind. They were careful to stop outside their own county and were reliably boisterous but seldom destructive. They got a charge out of seeing sober citizens flee when they pulled up to a café like Better Than Mom’s and always ordered food their wives, girlfriends, or doctors would not have sanctioned. They abided by the rules of the road, always wore their helmets, and left outrageous tips. They did not know it but they were becoming legend, the stuff of dreams, among waitresses in their part of the state.

Daily total: 1663 words
Running total: 24,831 words

Tomorrow I hit the halfway mark! Woohoo!

No comments: