Friday, August 31, 2007

More Yarn-i-ness!

It's been a busy week in the non-yarn sense, so I haven't gotten as much knitting & crocheting done as I hoped. But I am about halfway finished with the final quarter of my Vegan Sari purse, so that should be getting sewed together real soon, then I can knit the handle and line it, so I can take it with me to The Clearing next Saturday. I'll post pix when all the pieces are complete and sewed into one.

I tried to work on my shrawl a bit every day. I've got about 15 inches done. You can barely see the first row with the eyelash crocheted in. The only problem is that the pattern said I could make the whole t
hing with 500 yds. of worsted and 500 yds. of mohair, plus assorted shorter quantities of novelty yarn. Maybe somebody could, but it turns out I can't. I used up the first 250 yd. skein of the worsted at about 14 1/2 inches; I have to crochet to about 60 inches for it to cover my wingspan. I don't think I've done something wrong. When I hold it up my stitches, and the holes between them, look like the picture in the book. Maybe there's a typo and should read 1500 yds. of worsted, etc. It's not a real problem; I think it will be lovely and I'm definitely not frogging it to start over and try again. It's a shrawl, people, not a sock.

Remember last week when I was all panicky about not having enough
Vegan sari yarn to finish my purse so I frantically ordered more? And remember when I posted saying it had come but was so not the same color? Here is the proof: the picture on the left is the new yarn, the picture on the right is the old stuff. Not even close. It never occurred to me to ask them if they had green, red & yellow yarn. Ah, well, live and learn. I will have enough yarn to complete the purse with the original skeins, even if I have to make the handle a bit shorter than the pattern specifies, and now I'll have 400 g. of it to make something else. Or for someone else to make something of. Ann?

3 comments:

Psyche said...

Yes?

I would love to take it off your hands--but I won't have time to do anything with it for a while. I still haven't done anything with the silk you sent me. :(

Your shrawl is going to be very cool. I'm sure it won't matter if you have to use a different dye lot of the worsted.

Love,
Ann

Barbara said...

Turns out the offer to share is moot. I'm sewing the pieces together and am swiftly running out of yarn. I guess the handle will have to be of the new stuff, which will be okay, not perfect, but okay, and add a certain patchworkiness to the purse. I can live with that. I should have it done tomorrow and be able to post pictures of the completed, but unlined, purse. Yippee!

Psyche said...

Happy birthday!
Love,
Ann