Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 28--Ta-Da!

I made it! I'm over 50k as of right now, noon on Tuesday, August 28th, with three more writing days to go. Adam, I beat you to it! Neener, neener, neener. *doing the happy dance* *big sigh* Well, now that I have that monkey off my back, I can write later today (maybe) and for the next three days and just enjoy it. I pulled the bit about Norman asking Fay out on a date out of my synopsis and started playing with it this morning. So far he hasn't asked her out but it will be fun to play with for the next 3 days. Whew.

You guys all keep going. I'm dying to read what you've written this month. I hope everyone is planning to print out the month's product and bring it Saturday night to the wrap-up party. I want to see the piles of paper! Jenny and Bob, even if, and I mean IF, you don't make 50k, you have each still written wayyyy more this month than in any prior month. Choke that chicken, whack that rat, and keep on chugging or slogging or whatever keeps you moving!

And, Adam? I have absolutely no idea how this will end. At least you have one. I'm not even sure I have a plot!

Line of the day:
He had stopped in a few days after the break in to see Fay but he was too late and too embarrassed to ask the high school girl who was his waitress when Fay worked. A week had passed and he could not think of any other way to bump into Fay so he could maybe ask her on a date. A date! He had not been on a date in years. He gave up trying to find Miss Right when he hit thirty eight years old and since then had settled for a series of Miss Right For Now’s, each of whom had something he wanted in a wife, but none of them came close to having it all. Or maybe all his years as a cop had made him a cynic and he would never find the right woman to spend the dwindling rest of his life with. He shook his head (there is a lot of head shaking in this book. Do people really shake their heads as much as I am making them? Or is it just me with my bad attitude lately?) and found a seat at the counter so he could watch Fay work without looking like a stalker. She was busy talking to some geeky looking guy carrying a briefcase at the cash register behind him. They sounded pretty friendly, he wondered if they were dating. There, that sounded like an inside joke laugh. Yeah, they were probably dating, even though the guy totally did not look like Fay’s type, that pals-y laugh made it sound like it. He was sitting there brooding about maybe missing his chance to ask her out when she suddenly appeared right in front of him. “Well, if it is not Officer Norman Bates, the super sleuth.” She slapped a menu down in front of him, the metal corners of the plastic holder sounding like caps when they hit the formica counter. “Rustled up any good clues lately?” He picked up the menu and did not look at her. “Nope, and call me Norm.” (But nobody would ever call Norman Norm; he just looked too much like a Norman. He had always been Norman in everyone’s eyes and he would always be Norman until the day he died, no matter how hard he tried to get people to call him Norm. Nope, he was a lifelong Norman and he was stuck with it.) He frowned at the plastic covered paper in his hand as if it had offended him. Stupid, he thought, stupid line. How dopey can he get to just say ‘nope’ when she gave him the perfect opening? He could see, if he peeked up under his lowered brows, that she was standing in front of him, order pad and pencil ready to take his lunch order.

Daily total: 1887 words
Running total: 50,074 words YEEHAW!

--Barbara

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hooray, Mom! Congratulations on hitting 50,000!

Love,
Ann