Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One Quarter of a Purse, Dishcloths & Fish


Ever since I bought that sari silk yarn last spring I have been wanting to knit a purse from the pattern I found on the Frabjous Fibers website. In fact, that purse pattern is the reason I wanted to learn to knit. Every once in a while, I pull out the pattern and stroke the picture and squint at the directions dreaming of the day when I will have enough knitting practice to tackle it. Last Sunday, I did it again--pulled out the pattern and drooled over it. But this time I took the time to carefully read the instructions. Lo and behold, all of the stitches required were ones I have been perfecting by knitting fishies! *happy dance* So I pulled out the box of Himalayan yarn to select the perfect skeins to make it with. Surprising even myself, I chose the 2 skeins of Vegan (cotton & rayon) for its autumn colors, for my first stab at this purse pattern. (I figure I'll make a winter purse from the silk, next-ish.) Last night I finished the first piece of the purse. Look at how pretty it is! The only problem is that this quarter took way more than one-fourth of the 400 g. the pattern called for. I had to order more. Poor me! (Beware, Ann--choose the pattern wisely for your silk purse or you won't be able to finish it before you come home in Oct. and I share some of my eBay swag. I used Hermi's pattern and got a purse from the amount I sent you.)


I also spent some time crocheting up the SnC Stripes dishcloths Mom gave me. And of course I had to buy the Lime colorway, so I made even more. Imagine that there are 2 of each in this picture because I already shared with Mom.

And I knitted some fishes too. Love the Pogo colorway. It reminds me of my favorite Stoplight Parrotfish.




3 comments:

Psyche said...

See, I knew you were better at knitting than you gave yourself credit for. There are only a couple of things you still need to learn, and then you'll be a pro!

Thanks for the purse advice, Mom! Yours is coming along beautifully. And I love your dishcloths.

Love,
Ann

Abby&David said...

I like your fish, Mom. And you're right, those colors remind me of stoplight parrotfish too. I'm really jealous of your new restaurant.

Love,
David

Julie said...

You are really going to town on the fishies! Great batch (or should I say school) in this post.