Sunday, August 26, 2007

No, Barbara, you're not the only one...

...though you're definitely doing a lot better than me. You're so close to 50k, I can taste it for you. There's no way I'm going to get to that number this month, but as we've talked about, I've still gained A LOT from the experience and am glad I'm doing it.

Even though I'm not nearly as far as you, I, too, was writing down ideas today so I don't lose them. My line for the day, if the direction of the story doesn't change, won't come until close to the end, but it's what's driving me to get there.

In the end, they saw the whole story – beginning to end – and they understood. They understood, for instance, that they had been connected from the beginning, or even from before the beginning. They understood that Henry didn’t need to be Henry and Miriam didn’t need to be Miriam. They understood that perhaps Miriam was you or me, and perhaps Henry was love or peace, or even hate or war. They understood that it was the swallowing that really mattered, and that maybe they didn’t need to create whole universes. Maybe something much smaller, indeed, was enough.

No comments: