Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day 26--Synopsis-land

I finally faced the fact that I had a lot more story rolling around in my head than I was ever going to be able to write out in the next six days, so my writing time today was spent just rambling, trying to search every corner of my cluttered brain for any loose cafe story ideas that might be hiding there. Now if I ever decide to finish this novel and tidy it up and try for publication I will have my original instincts down on paper, or on a memory stick anyway.

Line of the day:
Officer Bates begins coming into Better Than Mom’s and in a few weeks works up the courage to ask Fay out. At first she is not so thrilled with him, she finds him dorky and dull, but on their third date he takes her to a country bar and they spend the night dancing. With a few drinks in him Officer Norman Bates is a dancing fool, enthusiastic and tireless. Fay has never dated or been married to a man who loved to dance before and falls for him hard. They decide to take the swing dancing lessons offered by the Stinson Park & Rec. Department, love it, and segue right into full on ballroom lessons. The image of six foot four inch, gangly Officer Bates and five foot six inch and slender to the point of being skinny Fay out there on the dance floor gives me a mental picture of two marionettes being manipulated by a spastic puppeteer. But after a few lessons both of them tap into a well of gracefulness that transforms their awkwardness into fluidity. Eventually they invest in costumes and enter the amateur division of a regional ballroom dancing contest. They come in second, and resolve to practice more, take more lessons and kick some dancing butt next time.

Okay, you three, what are you doing this weekend? I know Jenny is working, I saw her for a minute this morning. Adam, what happened to you at the Packer game? Did you fall in a hole? And, Bob, you at least have posted so I know you're still alive. I want to read what the rest of you are writing; I can't be the only one still at it. Please say I'm not the only one left putting myself through this writing hell.

Daily total: 1925 words (of synopsis)
Running total: 48,187 words

--Barbara

No comments: