Sunday, July 31, 2022

A Lily Day

I spent most of the day binge watching Last Tango in Halifax to make this a nearly completely lost weekend. I got through Seasons 1 & 2 and have 3 & 4 to go. I'm impressed with the depth and breadth of crisis they can heap on those poor characters.

I took a turn around the backyard snapping photos of the day lilies that are blooming today. This rusty red one with the dark yellow center and stripes is beautiful.



There's still a single yellow day lily blooming too.


And the last lonely Stargazer lily has buds on it. I'll keep an eye on it so that I can share pictures of it and inhale its heavenly perfume. I used to have a white Stargazer that bloomed under the living room window so I would open the window and have the fragrance inside but that plant got gobbled up by rapacious rabbits.



The next lesson in You Can Draw It In 30 Minutes was a grocery bag. Once again an odd subject for a drawing but it was quite complex with all the angles and shadows. It turned out okay. The Bonus Challenge was a stack of three cubes. Not very challenging so I'm not sharing that one.


I tried to turn out a decent watercolor of the rust red lily. I'm pleased that I got the yellow stripe up the middle of the petals but once again I'm dissatisfied with the leaves. If I try to replicate what's on the picture I get a muddle but doing what I'm doing seems skimpy. Maybe I need to flood the paper with pale green and then when it's dry paint a few leaves over the top. I'll try that next time.


Today's toss was a 2010 Page-a-day calendar. I don't know why I didn't use it, it had every page, and I don't know why I kept it. It's in the recycling now.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What makes shows like Last Tango in Halifax so interesting is all the crises in their lives. I said the same thing about Yellowstone when we got hooked on that one. So much drama! But hey, that's what it's called, isn't it? Drama???