Monday, July 25, 2022

Like a Real Lawn

It was a perfect day today, about 70 degrees at 10am and sunny, so I fired up the lawn mower and cut the grass. All the grass, even the new stuff that's been growing for a month. It looks like a real lawn. There's still some of the straw mat netting visible around the edges but I think it looks good. I'm so glad that the garden is gone. I reset the hose timer to only run once a day instead of twice, I'll keep that up for another week or so. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about that end of the hose that pokes out of the ground at the edge of the old garden/new lawn. I can't just leave it there so I'll probably cut it off at ground level and leave it at that. I don't think I can pull it through.


I got all excited when I passed the milkweed while I was mowing. I caught sight of a pale green pod and for a minute I thought that I had a monarch chrysalis but it's just the beginning of a seed pod. Dang. I keep hoping that one day my milkweed will have a cocoon on it. I heard the other day that Monarch butterflies have been put on the endangered species list because of climate change and habitat loss. So sad.


Right near the milkweed I spied this yellow day lily blooming...

 


... and on the west side of the house the spiderwort is blooming again.

 

 

The next challenge in the 30 Minutes eBook was a blender. What an odd thing to draw but I managed to follow the directions and get something that looks a little like the example.

 


Then I turned to the next page in 10-Steps: Nature to find a hedgehog. I thought hedgehogs were more roly-poly but this one seems kind of weasel-ish. Maybe it's a wild hedgehog instead of a pet one?

 

I got a haircut today and then went to the grocery for bananas and, of course, came home with much more than that. Almost $40 worth that all fit into one reusable bag. I'm glad I'm not feeding a family these days.

I finally gave in and watched the first two episodes of Last Tango In Halifax on Netflix. My knitting friend CS recommended it so I tuned in this afternoon. I may be hooked. Thanks a lot, CS!

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your lawn is a thing of beauty. And I love seeing the lines the lawnmower made. Back in the Dallas days when I used to be the lawn mower, I always loved seeing those lines and how neat the yard looked when the job was done. That hedgehog is cute -- for a hedgehog, that is! I wish you'd get a butterfly too.