Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Another Downy Woodpecker

Today's visitor was a mature Downy Woodpecker. I can tell because I learned this year that the juveniles have a rust colored patch on top of their heads. It tried to land on the suet pellet feeder but there were already two Sparrows on it and they didn't budge so the Downy went over to the seed feeder which was nearly empty. It evidently found enough of interest to stay long enough to have its photo taken.



The Cardinal hasn't been landing on the platform feeder lately or if it does not staying very long. Then it lands on the grass and pecks around looking for seed down there.


I did a lot of drawing today. I started with the next picture in The 15-Minute Artist which was a tree house. It was a more complicated drawing than I anticipated with a vanishing point and lots of detail. 



Then I forged ahead in 10-Steps: People to draw the next eye and nose. I was going to draw the next ear too but I just don't like the way she draws ears so maybe I'll figure out a different way.


I couldn't resist pulling out Drawing Cute again and drawing the next couple pages of cute animals. The frog was all alone on one page so I went ahead and drew the next two on the next page. The narwhal horn was a last minute suggestion by OJ. He has good instincts.



I've been watching "The Green Planet" on PBS and tonight's episode was Seasonal Plants. He started with spring and worked his way through summer, fall, and winter. I liked the look of the mushrooms in the fall segment so that's what I painted today. I don't know if they're edible or poisonous. I like the way the leaf litter turned out.


I forgot to find something to toss. I was too busy drawing, going to the bank and ALDI, and having a guest.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love the treehouse. I want to come over and climb up there for a cup of tea on the porch. Nice smiles on all the fun animals.