Saturday, July 9, 2022

That's Better

I decided not to let the drawing of the not-like-a-pine-cone defeat me so I took another stab at it today. Much better. I put in fewer of whatever you call the petals of a pine cone and did a better job of picking colored pencils to color it in. This looks like a pine cone. Now I can move on.



There's a big clump of orange day lilies growing along the west lot line and they were glowing in the sunshine. Naturally by the time I got out there with the camera the neighbor's tree had spread its shade over the flowers so they weren't vibrant and glowing as they had been but they still look good.


The daily art page had a very faint grid of hexagons on it and the challenge was to make a pattern or an image using the grid. I spent some time pondering the challenge and then I fell back on an old standby--a fish on a reef. I pulled out the box of 64 crayons and got to work. It was fun and at the end it reminded me of the old Lite Brite toy that the kids used to play with.



The next figure in The 15-Minute Artist was an old-time game controller. That brought back memories of trying to figure out how to play early video games on the Atari that Durwood's brother, RJ, sent. I was never very good at it.


I glanced out the patio doors to see a Goldfinch pair land on the crooks but before I could get the camera up and on they flew away so I'm going to dig back in the archives to find a good photo of one to put on here.


Also a Common Redpoll, female or juvenile, stopped by to clean up the seed that I spilled when I filled the feeders. It didn't stay long enough for a picture and I don't have one to show you but I was glad to see a different bird.



For the watercolor today I decided to try to paint the orange day lilies with the sun shining through them. It kind of worked but I think it needs more green. Maybe.


I washed everything today--laundry, a sink of dishes, and ran the dishwasher--with the addition of the sprinkler I estimate that I really made a big change to my water bill. I'm sure that watering the grass seed twice a day and the new bushes once a day all month will have an adverse affect on the water bill. Oh well, what else do I have to spend my money on? Groceries? Gas? Ain't inflation grand?

--Barbara

No comments: