Wednesday, July 27, 2022

One Frustrated Squirrel

This squirrel had a bad day. First it tried leaping onto the green tube feeder and got bucked off when the perch collapsed. Then it attempted to climb a couple crooks by grabbing onto the Slinkys which sproinged down and it let go in surprise. After that it jumped up to the suet cake feeder but couldn't get into a good position to nibble away at the yummy suet and seeds so it dropped to the ground. I tried to take its picture at each stage of its troubles and finally managed it when it sat still on top of the suet cakes crook, staring off into space (or maybe in at me), and thinking about things. The last time I spotted it, another squirrel was chasing it around the yard. Not the best day for this little squirrel.



The milkweed flowers are still blooming and they smell very sweet. It's hard to see but there's a bee under the top leaf visiting the flowers for pollen and nectar.


Another frustrated creature was this juvenile Starling that was determined to find purchase on the suet pellet feeder and kept changing position and flapping its wings to stay there. It finally gave up and flew over to the platform feeder where it ate some seeds and grumpily drove away other birds that tried to share the feeder.



The only picture that I'm happy with today and willing to show off is this frog from 10-Steps: Nature. I drew the next figure in the 3-D book, it was an Othello board but my grid lines didn't line up with the edges and it's crap. I'm not showing that one.


I dug around in a box under my desk and found a couple old Bonaire week-at-a-glance calendars. I paged through them enjoying the pictures and memories of past trips so I decided to try my hand at painting a flamingo. I should have made it smaller because the postcard wasn't tall enough for the bird's legs. I had to stop just below the knees but I like the way the bird part turned out. The sea and the sky aren't bad either.


Today's toss was another pair of "fashion" Crocs that I never wear because they squeak when I walk. I am not a fan.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sounds like the wildlife in your yard didn't have a good day yesterday. But your frog drawing looks perfect. I hate squeaky shoes -- glad you toss yours.