Sunday, July 3, 2022

A Couple Lilies & Milkweed

 Like I said, I have a few flowers left after the great garden scraping away. I was so glad to find the lipstick lilies hiding among the day lilies.



And now the day lilies, the original orange ones that Grandma called tiger lilies, are starting to bloom. Also I thought I saw a slight haze of green over the straw in the old garden area. I'll have to go out tomorrow to take a better look.


The milkweed is also starting to bloom. I've had milkweed in the bed along the lot line for years and have never seen a caterpillar or a chrysalis on it but I am ever hopeful that a monarch butterfly will decide that it's a good place to transform from caterpillar to butterfly.



I got to go over to DS's this morning and check for eggs. I found two! They're down to two chickens so each one made a contribution. My favorite chicken, Ms. Frizzle, who looked like she'd stuck her beak in a light socket has gone on to the chicken coop in the sky. They think maybe she succumbed to bird flu when there was an outbreak a while back.


I was invited to DIL1's parents house for their July 4th festivities. I forgot to bring a swimsuit so I didn't get into the water balloon fight but it sure was fun to watch. There was all laughing and no crying. After the water balloons ran out the kids spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool. A few grownups were in the pool too just to make sure things stayed safe but I can guarantee you that those five children will sleep well tonight. They gave it their all.



I did just one drawing today after I got home. It's a bowling pin and not really worth showing off. I'm happier with today's watercolor. I've been itching to try painting people so tonight I mixed some Naples Yellow with Quinacridone Pink to get a kind of peach color and had at it. I really had no plan I just grabbed a brush and painted. I don't know what I expected to happen but I like what came out.


Last Wednesday at the library there were DVDs that were going to St. Vincent de Paul so I looked through them before putting them into the box and picked out a couple. I tried to play them tonight and my DVD player didn't like them. It went around and around and then said "disc error." Dang it! I wanted to watch those. It was "The Sting" and the BBC mini-series "Planet Earth." Now I have to see if I can't find them on some streaming service. Grr.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Too bad you couldn't watch "The Sting" -- it's such a good one to watch over and over again. Sounds like fun at the Z's and your watercolor of the kids is too cute.