Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Rewrite Already

I had a brainstorm this morning when I was trying to avoid getting out of bed. See, it's nice and warm under the covers and I know I'll be chilled when I get up so I put it off and lay there thinking about my day. This morning I thought about what I had written yesterday and realized that I started out okay but then made my character Dan apologize for raising his voice which diluted any momentum the scene had. So when I sat down to write today I made a copy of yesterday's segment, lopped off the majority of it, and wrote from his last outburst. He flings himself out of the apartment in a fit of temper and then ends up at a little neighborhood bar with a bunch of island men who share some wise counsel along with too many cans of beer. Much better.

A Cardinal came to the platform feeder while I was doing yoga this morning and was long gone before I was done and could grab the camera. The Sparrows and Juncos were not very photogenic today and the Chickadees didn't hold still long enough for a portrait so no bird pictures today.

I was going to take a picture of a squirrel at the suet pellets but it dropped to the ground as I was picking up the camera so no pictures of squirrels either.


The lesson in You Can Draw It In 30 Minutes today was Cellphone. What an oddball thing to draw, I thought, and it was but it was also rather absorbing. The bonus lesson to draw a card house was pretty easy and fun too.



 

After that I decided to resurrect one of the lessons from You Can Draw In 30 Days (are you sensing a theme in these titles?) and draw a little girl's face. I worked and worked at it, erased a lot, and redrew and I think this isn't bad. It even looks a little like the face I drew from.


In the afternoon I plonked myself down in front of the television to watch episodes of The Great British Baking Show. I am constantly impressed by the skills of these amateur bakers and know that I could never make what they do but it sure is fun to watch. Thanks for getting me hooked on it, Aunt B. While I watched I knitted a few rounds on the Stained Glazz hat.


Today's toss was a Clearing sweater that I've barely worn and don't really like. I'd like it better if it was warm. It looks like it should be warm but it isn't. Very disappointing.

The prompt today said that you are being chased, running as fast as you can, can't get away, and run into a dead end. Your pursuer is coming, what happens next. So I wrote about the feeling of being pursued, feeling like he's breathing down your neck, when he finally catches up to you he says, "Lady, you dropped your wallet." Ha! Anticlimax. It amused me.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your prompt reminded me of a little ditty I learned from mother (or Grandma Gerst maybe?) -- "Run to the roundhouse Nellie. He can't corner you there." I have no idea in what context that was ever spoken but it stayed with me all these years. Glad you're enjoying TGBBS. I love all those contestants.