Friday, December 17, 2021

The Whole Tree

It's been so dreary lately that I have had the Christmas tree lit all day. It was sunny for part of the day today but by mid-afternoon it was time to turn on the tree. I didn't put nearly all the ornaments on this year but I think the tree looks nice just the same and it was fun to have small helpers to get the job done.



It was a bird day on the platform feeder. Both the female and male Cardinals came to peck at the seeds.


And the House Finches came too. I think I must be seeing things because it seems like the male's breast is pinker than it was a few weeks ago but it's too darned early for them to start putting on their springtime colors.



Speaking of birds I decided to try drawing a screaming owl from Dr. Seuss' Book of Animals. I took some pictures of OJ's copy of the book but then I ordered a used copy to have to keep. It was cheaper than printing off color photographs which uses too much ink.



Tonight at Friday Night Knitting I finished the second Rainbow Beanie and this one will fit a normal-size head. Of course it'll probably grow when I soak it but it won't end up yeti-sized. I only have a little yarn left so I might be making a bit of a pompom out of the remainder.


Today's toss was a book that I won't be reading again.

The prompt today said to finish the sentence, "The sun shone so brightly but still he couldn't see..." I wrote about a man on a path through the wilderness, boulders casting shadows across the way and the sun blinding him when he looked up. Then he hears a footfall behind him. Is it a person? A wild animal? I think it was a bear just awakened from its winter hibernation and following the man. It doesn't end well. Cheerful, don't you think? But, hey, that's what popped into my head.

I heard from DD today and she'll be here in 13 more days! I can't wait. I haven't seen her in nearly two years and I just can't wait until she gets here. I think we'll spend at least one day just staring at each other. And hugging, lots and lots of hugging.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I love your Christmas tree. I follow Mary Engelbreit on Instagram and it looks like one she put up with all mushroom ornaments. I love everything about her. Can't believe it's been two years! No wonder you'll have a hugathon!!