Thursday, December 9, 2021

Surprise!

 I was watering the Christmas cactus this morning and look what I found. Buds! There are two in this picture but there are three on the plant. Usually I'm lucky to get one bud and one flower. Maybe two of these will survive to flower. 



Man, does my house smell good tonight. My friend LL said the other day that she made lentils for lunch and that sounded good so I dug out a WW lentils & rice recipe, went to the store for the ingredients, and made it for supper. The smell good part is two giant onions sliced and browned in a skillet that you then stir into the lentils & rice. It smelled great while it was cooking and it tasted even better. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to eat it every night for the next three nights or save some for next week. I also got enough lentils and carrots to make a batch of slow cooker lentil soup this weekend. Soup sounds like the perfect lunch since the weather is so unreliable and cold.


We were supposed to get a couple inches of snow today but that didn't happen. The clouds stuck around though so it was a dreary day. I was surprised when I took this picture of a squirrel on the suet pellets that the flash didn't come on.



I worked on LC's purple hat this afternoon while the lentils & rice were cooking. I added a couple rounds of the fisherman color and managed to eke out three rounds before the purple yarn ran out. Now I just go around and around with the fisherman color until that runs out or the hat gets to be 10 inches tall whichever comes first. Then the top gets drawn closed and the purple pompom gets added on top.


Today's drawing lesson was Dice. What an oddball thing to draw but I managed to follow the directions and make it look almost like real dice. I got the feeling that he was running out of things to draw.



This evening I knitted on the brim of the second Rainbow Beanie just for a change of pace. I think this time it'll turn out human sized instead of yeti sized.



Today's toss was a couple crossword puzzle books that were languishing in a drawer.

The writing prompt of the day said that dinosaurs came back and they want their planet back. How do you think that will go? Not well. It made me think of an old movie "The Land Before Time." People and dinosaurs don't mix well. People seem to be perfect dino-chow. I envision armies lobbing shells at the dinosaur nests and scientists hollering about not making them extinct again. It would be a mess.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Any kind of soup sounds good to me this time of year. And yours looks delicious. The dice look so real that I thought you had a pair sitting on your table. Well done.