Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Woodpecker Day

This morning a male Red-bellied Woodpecker showed up at the suet pellets and stayed a long time, long enough for me to get a real good look at it.



 

Long enough for me to try my hand at drawing it. I don't think I did too badly.


 

 

Today's lesson in You Can Draw In 30 Seconds was Steps. Actually that was the lesson the day before yesterday, wasn't it? But I hadn't finished all of the timed challenges so I drew those today, all but Level 5 which was a huge pile of steps in all directions with doors and ramps and posts and all sorts of things and I just couldn't get enthused about it. I also couldn't see it easily because these are complex and the pictures are small.



Writing was hard today. I don't know why but I really struggled to get enough words and the scene was a hard one. I have a feeling that this is one that will get completely rewritten because I meant for Dan to get angry and storm out but he ended up wimping out and apologizing. Not very realistic. Anyway, my final word count is 52,377 for twenty days of actual writing, ten days of two segments a day and ten of one a day. I think I found a title today, Chasing a Dream. Now I just have to keep going chasing my dream of fiction writing. I'm so glad I decided to do NaNoWriMo. Doing it broke through that long writing dry spell I was having. Hooray!


When I was sitting at the kitchen table drawing today's lesson I noticed that the sky and the light was pink so I grabbed the camera and went out the front door to snap the sunset. The sky was full of clouds and pink and gold light. Almost worth it getting dark so early. Almost.



Once the drawings were done for the day I grabbed the thick & quick yarn and big hook to crochet another purple snowball. Part of me thinks that three of each color is good but then I look at the skeins of yarn and how much fun it is to make them and I think I might need more.



Today's toss was a leather card holder. There was a time when I would buy anything red and leather and this is one of those "why did I buy this?" things that was hiding in a drawer.

The prompt today said to write about a missing person. I started a story about a missing man. His wife is looking all over, calling all over, the police are no help. Pretty predictable but I was happy that it came so easily.

I made a quick grocery run today to pick up the things that I forgot on Saturday and had run out of in the intervening days. I'm so lucky to be able to go in the middle of the day when it isn't crowded. A lot of the snow melted today in the sunshine. The streets were a combination of wet and slippery, which made for interesting driving especially around corners.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I am so happy that you've started writing again. How you got all those words down in just a month is incredible. The total words in my November journal came to 8491. The months when I have a lot more than that are ones when I do a lot of complaining. This computer is my therapist at times. Love that sunset but like you, I hate it when it gets dark so early.