Wednesday, November 10, 2021

But I Don't Have Pictures

Three different woodpeckers came to the feeders this morning while I was doing yoga, therefore, I was unable to take any pictures.  First came another big Red-bellied Woodpecker that landed on the suet cakes.  Now this was definitely a female so yesterday's was probably a male.  I'm frustrated when I mis-identify one.

A female, medium-sized Hairy Woodpecker came to the suet pellets and then bopped over to the seed feeder.  It didn't stay long so if I hadn't been doing a yoga pose I still wouldn't have been able to take its picture.

Finally a little Downy Woodpecker landed on the suet cakes and had a little peck but a flock of Starlings came flooding onto the lawn and scared it away.  That was pretty much it for birds, interesting or blah, today.  And I didn't get one photo.

The lesson today in the ... 30 Minutes book was drawing penguins.    Part of me is sorry that I went with the Kindle version of the book because the example Figures are too small to really see them well and part of me is glad because that makes me rely on my interpretation of the written directions so I am less focused on doing it exactly right.  "Right" is a big thing to me.  I don't give myself a break much but I'm learning.



The bonus drawing was another penguin, this one on an ice floe reflected in the water below, so two penguins in one.



Then I turned to the 30 Seconds book to finish the timed levels after the first lesson.  I realized that if I restrict myself to one lesson a day (not one from each book), they'll last longer and my fun will be extended.  So these levels were riffs on "ball" with a house floating away with balloons attached, eyeballs peering out of flowing hair (kind of weird and creepy), and what he called "mechanical chicken foot" above which I sketched in a chicken leg and a few feathers.



Before I drew those last few pictures I whipped up a batch of Quick Chicken Soup.  (it's a made-up recipe)  I had a bag of cooked, diced chicken breast in the freezer that was in danger of freezer burn so it needed cooking.  I had some beef broth that's getting a little aged too so I used one quart of chicken and one of beef.  I splurged and sauteed the onion, celery, and carrots in a tablespoon of butter so it smelled even better than usual, tossed in a bag of frozen mixed vegs, a can of diced tomatoes, and that bag of diced chicken, added salt, pepper, thyme, and a pinch of red pepper for zing and left it simmer for an hour.  It'll be great for lunches and maybe even for suppers if it gets chilly and rainy like they say it's supposed to.


Today's toss was the trash and recycling.  It was trash day so I got all of it out there--for once.  I'm counting it as an official toss.

The prompt today said to write about a bar brawl in the Wild West.  At first I read "bra brawl" and spent five minutes giggling, then I wrote a page about a cat fight in the Long Branch when the barmaid accidentally knocked the hat off a town lady sipping her sarsaparilla.  I amuse myself sometimes.

I got to read bedtime stories tonight and borrowed a Dr. Seuss book so I can copy some of his drawings.  We had a fine time drawing after supper.  LC cut out snowflakes and OJ taught me his way of drawing a penguin.  He's a very good and patient teacher.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm glad you're having so much fun drawing -- and sharing your efforts. I hope you're keeping all of them because you'll be able to grade yourself as you go along. Of course, I'm giving you an A every time.