Sunday, November 7, 2021

All About The Leaves

I charged up the batteries of the leaf blower overnight and went out in the late morning sunshine to blow the large portion of leaves off the side yard.  My neighbors have two gigantic maple trees that do their best to hold onto their leaves until all the rest of the trees are bare and half of the leaves fall in my yard.  The leaf blower batteries don't last long enough for me to blow the leaves to the curb so I blow them into a big pile and then rake them onto a tarp a little at a time to drag down there.  Then, after lunch, I got out the lawnmower, put on the bagger, and mowed, sucking up the leaves as I went.  There were enough leaves that I could only make a pass or two before the bag needed to be emptied.  I dumped the backyard leaves in the garden (mulch, you know) and the front and side yard leaves onto the pile at the curb.  I felt good about it and it only took about 2 hours.  I meant to take a picture of the bare grass but by the time I'd had a shower the maple trees had been diligently working to recover the side yard in pretty yellow leaves.  Arrgh!  I'm hoping that this is the last mowing of 2021.  It's for sure not the last leaf blowing of the year, though.


A Chickadee decided to sample the delights of the suet pellets this morning and actually held still long enough to have its picture taken.  They're usually so quick and flighty that I can barely catch sight of them let alone take their picture.



A lone Sparrow stopped by for a bath this afternoon after the mowing was done.  I love watching them, they're such enthusiastic bathers.



I gave myself a day off from drawing hands and faces and just drew the little pictures in two of the Draw Squad lessons.


Today's toss was two pairs of kids' garden gloves that for sure won't fit LC and OJ anymore.  I know it isn't gardening season but someone might still like them.

I didn't write the prompt today, I was too busy with leaves and lawn mowing and drawing.  I didn't knit or watch TV either.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

When its time to stop mowing, its time to start blowing. Seasons! Sounds like a very big job and I'm proud of you for taking it on.