Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Woodpecker Visits

I was in the middle of my yoga routine this morning when a big beautiful Red-Bellied Woodpecker came to the feeders.  I took three photos and only one of them turned out--sort of.  I think it's a male but I can't be sure.  This is the biggest woodpecker that visits and I was happy to interrupt the chair pose to try to snap its picture.


 


A Downy Woodpecker also visited today.  You can tell it's a male by the red swoop across the back of his head.  The Downies are much more frequent feeder visitors than any other woodpeckers and they tend to stay a little longer so I'm luckier with pictures of them.


The lilacs are in as full bloom as they're going to get this season.  It smells very good standing there with the camera.


 


And the bleeding hearts are in full bloom too.  I'm glad that I put a little fence around them this year so that they don't flop over so much.  In the past the flowers would be nearer the ground because the stems were so long and heavy., this way is better.  I don't think the Hummingbirds visit the bleeding hearts but they come to the feeder from that direction.



Today's toss was a third and final pottery vase.  This one I bought on TJ Maxx's clearance rack.  Why do I remember where I bought it?  I have no idea, I just do.

The prompt today asked if I was reliable.  What a question.  I think I am reliable.  If I say I'll do something, I do it.  If I say I'll be somewhere, I'm there.  That's reliable, right?

Lala came for our first visit in 14 months.  We're both fully vaccinated so we even hugged.  I thinly sliced one of the teriyaki chicken breasts and we each built a nice salad with pieces of chicken on top.  Oh, and croutons, big garlicky croutons.  We had a nice long visit. Heaven.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Who would have ever thought giving a friend a hug would be a reason for celebration? So glad you had the nice long visit with Lala. I can't wait to hug Nancy -- hopefully next month. It will have been eighteen months since our last one. That's just wrong!