Friday, May 14, 2021

See These Pants?

I went downstairs yesterday after my haircut to sew up a pair of pants that I had cut out a year or so ago.  I used a wider seam allowance and they went together wonderfully.  The best and easiest ever.  I put the elastic in the waist in my usual way--and the thickness of the fabric stretched the elastic so it didn't snap back to its measurement.  In other words, I can't wear them.  They rest on  my hips and if I put my hands in the pockets the pants fall down.  Not good.  I tried to figure out a way to take them in but I put in in-seam pockets so my only recourse is to shorten the crotch seam.  That won't work.  So I sewed them up, hemmed them, and I'm tossing them.



It made me frustrated enough that I went to Joann Fabrics and found some navy linen blend (30% off) and a couple cottons to make more Shirt no.1s.  The cottons were on sale too. Plus I had a couple gift cards floating around in my wallet so I didn't even have to spend any money.  I've already washed and dried them so when the spirit moves me I can get them cut out and have more things to sew.  That fit.



Look at this fist of fern fronds.  I love the way this looks before the fronds start to grow and unfurl.  I don't remember the name of this fern but it spreads so my fern garden is lush when everything is up in summer.



The bleeding hearts are opening more too.  I love the dainty look of the pink heart-shaped blossoms with the little drop below.



The mints are taking over the garden.  This is chocolate mint (the darker green) and peppermint (the lighter green) and they are relentless.  I wish I'd never planted them but they smell so good when I step on them.



Tonight's knitting was on May Preemie Hat #3.  I cast on when Friday Night Knitting started and here's how far I got in three hours.  Sadly, this is the end of the crazy colored yarns I've used for preemie hats for years.  I'm confident that the yarn is discontinued so I'll just have to keep going with more usual colors of yarn.  Drat.


Today's toss was the cup holder console that Durwood had the mechanic take out of his van when we bought it.  I would have tossed it then but the dealer told me to keep it so I did.  DS called this morning to say that they're buying a newer van and trading in the one we had.  I'm not sorry to see it go, it had a good life and served the family well.

The prompt today said to write an ad for a self-peeling banana.  Really?  So I sold an organic, vegan, non GMO banana with a built in zipper for ease of peeling.  Silly.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Drat it!! How aggravating to make those pants and then have them fail so miserably. You're going to have to stick with jeans. I have three pairs that rotate through the week. The bleeding hearts are beautiful -- but then, everything out there is beautiful. Love your backyard.