Tuesday, May 11, 2021

More Lilacs

The lilac bush got a serious trimming last fall and the first flush of buds must have frozen, I think, because interspersed with the blossoms are cones of dead buds on the ends of a bunch of branches.  They're a little early but I'm glad to see them.  Maybe tomorrow I'll pick some to bring into the house.


 

 


I saw movement on top of the retaining wall this morning and there was the Flicker pecking its way down the wall.  I don't know what kind of bugs it eats but it found them.  Maybe ants?  I took two pictures of the Flicker, one blurry and one not.  Naturally the not-blurry one is the one with the bird's face behind the shepherd's crook.  Dang.


 

There were two male Goldfinches chasing and diving on each other today.  This one sat down for a minute so I manage to get a picture.  I think this is the same one that I saw last year, the black cap on its head reminds me of a beret set at a jaunty angle.  The other bird doesn't have such a pronounced cap.



After supper I portioned out the chocolate ice cream.  I got 14 portions with just a little extra for me to lick out of the carton on a spatula.  I'm very tempted to eat two or three of these or to scoop out a bunch of ice cream into a big dish and just EAT IT, but I won't.  I've kind of fallen off the wagon the last few days, I even got a cheeseburger and fries for supper tonight.  I plan to clamber back into the saddle tomorrow.  Really.


Today's toss was another flannel shirt.

The prompt today asked what is your best feature.  It's my legs.  I have the Stephan's legs.  They are short and sturdy but shapely with nice ankles.  No cankles here.

It started to warm up this afternoon but is supposed to be near freezing again tonight.  But then we're supposed to get into the 60s and close to 70 for the next few days.  That will be a relief not to have to put on a fleece jacket to go outside.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I should do that with ice cream. Last night, I opened a pint of that wonderful Talenti gelato and ate half of it. But that's only a cup so not too terrible. Still, a half cup would be reasonable. The picture of the lilac is so beautiful. And I love the cute little goldfinch in the jaunty cap.