Sunday, May 16, 2021

Sweet Violets

There are white violets all over my backyard.  There are a few purple ones sprinkled around but they're mostly white.  I know they're weeds in a lawn but I love them.  They're so sweet.



I went out to put the patio umbrella up and clean out the birdbath this morning.  I got the umbrella in all right, but when I turned on the faucet to clean the birdbath, water sprayed out all over the connector and the hand sprayer.  Guess I should have unhooked them and taken them inside for the winter.  So I got that all fixed then spent a bit of time in the Adirondack chair enjoying the beautiful day.  While I sat there a female Hummingbird came to the feeder not three feet from where I sat!  Very cool.  (This picture is from a later visit because I didn't have my camera and she would have zoomed away if I'd moved anyway.)


In other bird news, I think the Wren has attracted a mate.  Males build the nest and then sing to attract females.  To me, this little lady looks like she's considering moving in.  She really blends in, doesn't she?



This evening I started May Preemie Hat #4.  I didn't get very far because I suspect that I don't have enough yarn to make a big enough hat so I may be frogging this one and going down a size.  I keep looking at the hank of yarn thinking, well maybe, but what I should have done was weigh the last hat and then weigh the yarn.  I'd do it now but that would entail taking it off the needles.  Do I want the hassle of putting the stitches back on the needles if I have enough yarn?  I'm thinking about it.


Today's toss was a pottery vase that escaped the last purge but got caught in this next go through.  I bought it at an art fair when I was in college and never really used it much.  It's kind of big for a bouquet.

The prompt today said that electronic and written communication was banned for the day.  All that's left is talking.  How would that affect your professional and private life?  Well.  I'd be incommunicado for the day because I'm retired and I live alone.  No texting, no emails, no Zooming, no blogging.  I suppose I could drive somewhere to see another human, maybe to the brewery to see DS or to the grocery to talk to the cashier.  I could survive a day of that.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That sweet little wren. I hope she moves in and starts a family in your backyard. They always remind me of the birdhouses daddy built with a hole only a wren could get through. A day without your blog would be a sad one. Love the day-to-day report from you. Don't mow those violets -- at least not yet!!