Thursday, May 13, 2021

Black & White

Today was a day for black and white and red birds, with a little green thrown in.  First off the Rose-breasted Grosbeak couple were here for quite a while.  I didn't get her photo, she was a little shy, but he posed nicely in the platform feeder.

 


 

At the same time the male Downy Woodpecker flew to the suet cakes and stayed on the side where I could see him and take his picture.  He also flew over to get a drink but didn't stay long enough for photos.

 

I did catch the chipmunk getting a drink.  I could never figure out how it gets up there but today I found out.  It jumps from the ground up to the birdbath!  Just crouches and leaps!

 


This afternoon I saw this White-crowned Sparrow on the patio.  I'm a big fan of his stylish black and white striped hat.  He was very skittish so I was lucky to snap this one.

 

 

And the Hummingbird stopped.  I keep craning to see the throat of the birds because the males have a red throat and the females don't.  So far I think all of the ones, or the one that keeps coming every day, are females.  I think.  It doesn't help that the red of the feeder reflects on the throat so sometimes I think it's a male but then realize that it just a reflection.  I can't resist sharing a picture of it every time I manage to snap a photo.  I don't mean to bore you.

 


Tonight I knitted on May Preemie Hat #2 at knitting guild social knitting and got up to the crown decreases.  I should have just enough yarn to finish the hat with a little bit left over.


 

No, NS, I'm not running out of things to toss, I'm just too lazy to go downstairs and dig.  I promise to get better at it.  Soon.

The prompt today said that astronauts have discovered life in space and they're planning to come visit Earth.  It said to write a welcome letter.  My letter told them to stay away because the planet is in a mess with the pandemic and climate change and fighting here there and everywhere.  Stay away!  That's my welcome letter.  Not very cheerful, I know, sorry.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

All the activity in your back yard could never bore me. I'm amazed at how many birds visit. And that chipmunk leaping waaaay up onto the birdbath!! Glad you got to witness that.