Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Unfurling

I looked around outside today to see what was new and saw the fern fronds unfurling.  They look like tiny bishop's croziers to me, you know, the crook that bishop's carry when they're officially bishop-ing.  I wonder if they do that anymore or if that's an archaic accessory of bygone days, like when I was a kid.  I think that St. Patrick carries one in some pictures.



A Flicker worked its way across the top of the retaining wall and the back of the yard.  I took pictures and this one is the best.  A Northern Flicker is a kind of woodpecker, I think, but I've only ever seen one on the ground prospecting for bugs.



The rhubarb has grown by leaps and bounds the last couple weeks.  Looks like it's pie-time.


 


One of the Robins took a bath, a drenching bath.  I just love watching the enthusiastic bathing of these birds.  Look at how wet it is.  It's a wonder it can fly when it's done splashing around.


 

This afternoon I went downstairs and sewed up the black floral Shirt no. 1 that was cut out.  But first I cut a remnant and futzed with the needle thread tension on my Pfaff and got it adjusted so I don't have to take it back to the fixit shop.  Hooray!  Now all I need is for the temperature to warm up so I can wear my new shirts.   There's one pair of Pants no. 1 cut out and ready to be sewn down there so I have something else to do.  I need to try on the pants that I made before to see if I need to increase the seam allowance a bit to account for the weight I've lost.  Probably.


Today's toss was a big shirt that I used to wear as an overshirt when I needed an extra layer.  Too big.  Out it goes.

The prompt today was an easy one--list five words to describe a spoon.  Silver, bowl, scoop, utensil, implement.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, the rhubarb looks very robust and ready for pie. Wish I were there to help you eat some. It will never happen in our kitchen. Your new top definitely makes a statement. Love all those bright colors.