Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Buds

I mowed the front yard this morning, mowed down all of the zillion dandelions, and then mowed the back yard in the afternoon.  As I mowed next to the retaining wall I noticed that one of the iris has buds on it.  Everything else is just greenery but this iris is getting ready to have flowers.  Hooray!



There are more flowers on the biggest blueberry bush too.  This bush is the only one with leaves and buds, the other two bushes have a few leaves and no buds but then I haven't given them their annual drink of fertilizer.  I should do that tomorrow.  If it doesn't rain.


 

 

Speaking of rain I decided to grill the chicken for tomorrow's lunch and a bunch of suppers today.  They're predicting rain tomorrow morning and with my luck it'd be pouring when I wanted to light the charcoal.  So I fired up the grill this morning and while the chicken cooked I mowed the front weed patch.



I bought a family pack of boneless breasts, marinated four of them and left three plain, so I'll have lots of chicken for salads and suppers and even some chicken salad if I decide to make some.  Hm, that sounds like a good plan.  Ooh, I could get up the grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer and make some chicken salad spread.  That'd be good.


 

The other thing I made today was a pan of rhubarb sauce.  I was going to mix up a batch of rhubarb pie filling using Grandma Angermeier's recipe but it calls for two egg yolks and I didn't want to waste the whites so I googled "rhubarb sauce" and found a simple recipe that was a snap to cook up.  It's just what I was hoping for.  I can have a few spoonfuls in a custard dish to satisfy my springtime rhubarb craving without the added calories of pie crust.



I finished the tiny May Preemie Hat #4 tonight and had yarn left over which is way better than running out of yarn before the hat is done.




Today's toss was another pottery vase leftover from my college art fair buying days.

The prompt today asked for a list of film genres.  Hm, let's see, children, rom-com, western, film noir, documentary, history, war movie, horror, sci fi, fantasy, musical... I'm sure there are many that I've neglected but I had a nice long list.  What that has to do with writing, I do not know, but I'm willing to play along.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, the iris blossoms are ready to burst. I remember those from Grandma Gerst's backyard on Bell Avenue. Teeny tiny preemie hat. Can't imagine a human baby's head that small but I know it'll fit a little bitty newborn.