Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunday In The Yard

Now that the squirrels have eaten all of the peanuts they've turned to the cob corn in the feeders back by the retaining wall.  They hang from their back feet and nibble off a kernel or two and then either perch on top of the crook or drop to the ground to eat.  Not as many squirrels battle for the kernels as for the peanuts.  No one is paying attention to the suet pellets--yet.

 


This robin sat in the birdbath all plumped up for a while and then went crazy taking a bath.  He spent a long time after his bath preening his feathers and shaking off the water.  I'm surprised that the birds bathe in the cold water.  It was a warm day today--61 degrees--but it was windy which makes it feel colder.

 

Another purple striped crocus bloomed next to the first one.  I'm so tempted to pick them but they're very short in the stem and I fear they'd wilt in a second if I brought them inside.  I'll just have to enjoy them in their natural habitat.

 


I saw the first chipmunk of the season today.  It's small and thin and darted out from under the step to where the birdseed falls under the round feeder.  You can see that it filled its cheek pouches with cracked corn before racing back to the safety of its burrow.

 

 

Today's toss was a couple turtlenecks.  I tried them on and they're way too big.

The prompt today said that it's your last day on Earth.  Who do you spend it with and what do you do?  Cheerful.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Four great nature shots to start my day. Thanks for the glimpse of your backyard. I have a pile of stuff for Goodwill but mine because stuff is too small!! Still so impressed with your healthy living in trying times.