Monday, March 22, 2021

Poppies!

I went out looking for greenery and found this tuft of poppy leaves hidden under last year's maple leaves.  Now we have to hope for no more freezing temps so that the leaves survive and we've got the rest of March and all of April to get through before we're safe from that.



As for the indoor greenery, the Christmas/Easter cactus flower bud is growing.  It looks like it's about to open too.



I went to visit DS at Zambaldi this morning where he was brewing a batch of IPA so it smelled roasty and citrusy in there today.  I got to sample a bunch of beers today too, three of them, and I liked them all.  The Hazy IPA had a real grapefruit aroma and flavor that I liked a lot and the, uh, I forget the style but it was Key Lime with Vanilla, kind of like dessert in a glass.  We're all anxious for everyone to get their second shots and for the waiting time to be over so that we can exchange hugs when we meet.  It was hard not to leave my mask in the car and just go into the brewery with my face hanging out but it's no time to let down our guards, as tempting as that is.


Today's toss was a Great British Bake-Off cookbook that I paged through and know that I won't be making anything out of.  I'd love to but, since I'm cooking for one, making a cake or a big batch of breadsticks or a pan of brownies is nothing but a bad idea.  I'll keep my eye out for a single cookie at Pick 'n Save again.

The prompt today said that fall is here with its cooler temps, shorter days, and colored leaves.  Are you looking forward to the coming season or longing for summer?  For me winter is a series of gray days and gray moods.  I like the cooler temps of autumn but the sunlight of summer.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Greenery inside and out!! You'll have blossoms before you know it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Christmas cactus. That brewery looks so formidable. So proud of those kids of yours for keeping it going successfully.