Monday, March 29, 2021

Saved

I very nearly had a writing catastrophe today.  I put in a USB drive that suddenly wouldn't load up and realized that I had written seven scenes (7!!!) for Better Than Mom's that I had only saved on the USB drive, not on the hard drive.  Arrgh!  How can a pretty red USB drive do that to me?  I was contemplating having to retype them all in from the hard copies I had printed when I realized that maybe they were on the Alphasmart (which has room for eight files) and I could just re-download them.  They were there.  Whew.  I couldn't believe my luck.  So I spent an hour downloading them from the Alphasmart to the computer and saving them to the C drive.  Then I got out a brand new, never used USB drive and copied all of the files of that novel onto it.  Never again will I neglect to save writing in two places (and I knew it was wrong when I did it).  Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders.



The robin was back having a very enthusiastic bath.  Robins are almost as much fun to watch bathe as a flock of sparrows.  There's a lot of flapping and splashing and then a good deal of fluffing and preening to get his feathers just right.  A very dapper bird.


I spent the afternoon finishing a read-through of The Seaview, looking for a place that jarred me when I was putting it on here.  I found it, fixed it (I think), and only a single page of other edits that I noticed.  Maybe it really is ready to be published.  Man, I don't know if I'm brave enough to go through all of the publishing stuff and self-promotion and editing to someone else's opinion of how it should be.  I have to think about it.



In preparation for tomorrow night's knitting guild social knitting I started a preemie hat which is the most no-thought-required knitting--all knit, all the time.  This gray yarn might not be the best for a baby but it's very soft so I'm going with it.


Today's toss was another WW cookbook.  I paged through and nothing grabbed me and told me to keep the book.

The prompt today said that you've been asked to give a presentation to a large group of people on a subject you know nothing about.  How do you manage to convince people you know what you're talking about?  Well.  I hope that I'd have a day to prepare and I'd preface my presentation with the admission that I wasn't terribly familiar with the subject, deliver my talk, and then open the floor for discussion hoping that someone in the audience could bail me out.  I don't know why I feel compelled to do these prompts every day.  They're not especially inspirational or writer-y, they're more like some weird sociological test, but still I pull the book out every day and scribble down my response.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I know that feeling you had about losing all that writing. I lost a whole month of my journal last year and it was sooooo frustrating. Taught me to ALWAYS click on "Save." I'm so glad you were able to retrieve those precious words!! I hope you get over your worries about publishing "Seaview." You've got such a great story to share with the world. You must go for it!!!