Thursday, March 14, 2024

My Heaviest Jacket

On Tuesday I didn't need a jacket when I went out. Yesterday I wore a hoodie. Today I wore my winter jacket and mittens when I drove across town. I had to walk a block and because there was a cold wind whipping out of the north I wore a beanie too. It's supposed to be in the 50s for the next 2 days and then dip back into the 30s for a few days after that. I have a row of jackets in the closet (all of them red!) ready for whatever Mother Nature throws at us next.

The only birds that braved the windy day were Sparrows, Mourning Doves, and Chickadees. I got this picture of the Sparrows riding the slowly twirling tube feeder. I'm rarely fast enough to catch a Chickadee photo and the Mourning Doves blend into the grass. Although there was a moment when a Mourning Dove was on the seed in the platform feeder and two other Doves were on the roof of the feeder.



The Daily Art prompt said to draw the profile of a face using negative space. I think that's what I did. I'm not sure. It doesn't really look like anybody I've ever seen.


I liked the Daily Practice today. We had a picture of a Van Gogh oil painting that she challenged us to try to paint something similar in watercolor. Oil paint is a lot different than watercolor so it was a real trick to make those swirls in the sky that he liked so much. I don't think I did too badly. Sometimes I worry that I'm wasting my money going up to The Clearing to take watercolor class for a week. But then I remind myself that I have a lot of fun doing it and am marginally satisfied with most of the things I paint. I'm never going to be "a painter" but I can dabble around for fun.



Then when I got home from my errands this afternoon I was looking for something to do and pulled out Drawing Cute and drew a dumpling and sushi. I've gotta draw these more often, the Chibis too, because I love the results almost every time.


Today's Gratitude Journal page took some thinking. I kind of took the day off from accomplishing stuff, just did art and portioned out a carton of ice cream, so I was a bit stuck for what to draw. I figured it out in the end.


--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Crazy weather indeed. At least you've got all your jackets lined up and ready to go.