Sunday, March 17, 2024

A Quiet Sunday

I spent the day just goofing around with watercolors and spent a little time on my manuscript. I can't seem to stay away from it but I'm finally having ideas of things to put in it that Rose can work to overcome. I'm so relieved. Whew.

 


First thing when I opened the drapes and looked out I could see that it had gotten below freezing overnight because the birdbath was half frozen and on top of the ice were little snowflakes or ice balls that look like dandruff. I noticed a few flakes flying around through the day when I looked out but nothing came of it.


In the front flower bed the hyacinths are sprouting and a few of them have baby flowers coming up too. I was surprised to see the purple and white buds when I went out to check on the sprouts.



I don't know if you can see them but the squills are sending up buds too. Squills are tiny little white flowers with blue stripes on them. They grow from a little bulb and come back every year. Evidently they don't taste good because the rabbits don't eat them.


Today's Daily Practice was tiny still life paintings of a clementine and a lemon. I liked painting them and wish that tomorrow's still life had a clementine and a lemon in it but it's a bowl of cherries and last time I didn't have the best of luck painting that. But I'll try again and see if I can't do it better.



My birthday book is called Free-Spirited Watercolor and the next exercise was some brush play. I used one of my favorite colors of paint, Quinacridone Gold, and followed the directions. I'm not sure that I did all of the movements right but I did okay. Some of the marks look like the examples in the book. She recommends only using one tapered bristle brush called a dagger which is new to me, so I may take another run at the movements to get used to the brush and the way it paints. The flubs aren't the brush's fault, it's operator error. I'm sure of it.

 

The Gratitude Journal page took some thinking since I didn't do a lot of things today and it wasn't sunny so I didn't even have that to draw. However it was windy again and it's supposed to get even windier later. Great.

 

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I love those little squills. Never heard of them until they appeared in your blog some years back. Can't wait until the flowers show up this year. All that wind is blowing winter away.