Monday, September 6, 2021

Happy Labor Day!

I've always thought it was amusing that we celebrate Labor Day by not laboring.  I was lured out by the beautiful day and spent a happy hour weeding along the retaining wall, except around the sedum that had the most bees on it.  Those weeds can stay.

There were plenty of bees on the mint flowers too when I went by.  I know I should probably weed out most of the mint from the garden before it completely takes over but I don't want to and don't want to battle the bees.  If I decide to put in a garden again then I'll weed out the mint.  As if I could eradicate it.  Mint is the cockroach of the plant family.  I suspect that even Round Up would have trouble getting rid of it.

 


In the "How Do They Know?" category, I refilled the platform feeder with safflower seeds and within an hour a chipmunk was up the crook inside the Slinky and onto the feeder.  I even broadcast some black oil sunflower seeds on the grass to try to keep it occupied and give the birds a chance at the safflower seeds but that didn't work very well.

 

A Downy Woodpecker came to the suet cakes but landed on one of the Slinkys first for a little ride before flapping over to the suet and getting busy.

 


And one of the Hummingbirds came to investigate the nectar feeder.  I think each one will be the last of the season so I'm posting any pictures I get.

 

Today's toss was a sleeve of napkin holder napkins.  I have an antique napkin holder but don't need all of the napkins that I have.  I should probably toss the holder too.  Maybe I will.  Tomorrow.

The prompt today said to write a short story that takes place on the bottom of the ocean.  Ha!  Something easy for once.  I wrote a little piece about a couple staying in an underwater hotel but ran out of page before it got very interesting.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I love the chipmunk inside the slinky. An underwater story??? Just your style. Too bad you had to make it short.