Saturday, September 4, 2021

Drizzle

The day started overcast and drizzly, segued to only overcast, and finally the sun came out as it was going down.  Lot of good that did but it made a cheerful end to the day.

I saw a lot of Hummingbirds today or I saw the same one many times.  The males have mostly left already to migrate.  The females are still drinking nectar and filling up for the trip.  I can't imagine such tiny birds flying so far, over water, to their winter homes in the tropics.  It's about as unimaginable as Monarch Butterflies flying to Mexico for the winter and yet they do it.



I made a batch of chicken egg drop soup for lunches today.  I put in cabbage, mushrooms, and scallions along with the diced chicken and eggs.  I can't wait to have some tomorrow or the next day.


One of the Stella d'Oro lilies bloomed today.  Just a single blossom, not a cluster like the one
the other day.



I caught sight of a Nuthatch on the suet pellets this morning and managed to capture it when it moved out from behind the crook and Slinky.



I made progress on the Flausch Mitt this afternoon.  I watched TV so I got distracted a lot but made it through the thumb gusset, put the thumb stitches on a holder, and started up the hand.  Twenty more rounds and the hand will be done, then it'll be onto the thumb and done.


Today's toss was a bag of frozen corn on the cob dated 2016.  Since it wasn't vacuum sealed I am confident that it was terminally freezer burned.  It got lost on the bottom shelf.

The prompt today asked for ten winter words.  Ugh, I didn't really want to think of winter just yet but I managed.  Let's see--snow, frost, blizzard, ice, skis, snowshoes, snowdrift, icicles, toboggan, fireplace.  That's ten.

Thanks for the birthday card, Aunt B!  It's a hoot!

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Nice bird pix today. Interesting to see the hummingbird at rest. Too early to think about winter -- especially when it's still so hot down here. Glad the cute card got to you -- even late. Queen Forever!!!