Thursday, September 30, 2021

Every Other Day Isn't Bad

I spent last night and this morning feeling bad that I didn't blog last night but I've decided that every other day while I'm here at The Clearing isn't a bad thing.  Yesterday afternoon it was my turn to read part of my novel to be critiqued and it went well.  I got lots of praise and many comments to think about.  I'm happy.


At The Clearing the midday meal, dinner, is the big meal of the day and yesterday's was a real winner.  We had foil packets of baked whitefish with zucchini and herbs, a fall salad with vinaigrette, hard rolls, and for dessert, homemade hot fudge sauce with fresh strawberries to dip in it.  Sublime!  The amazing thing is that breakfast and dinner are delivered hot to our rooms, place settings and all, and then picked up after we've eaten.  Supper is left in the communal fridge in the afternoon for us to pick up at our convenience.  It isn't the traditional meals with all of the students and staff but it's pretty close and the best we can hope for in these days of COVID.


Supper last night was an egg salad sandwich on croissant with a plum and a Rice Krispie treat with chocolate on top.  No one starves at The Clearing.



Here's the view from one of the chairs outside the Schoolhouse.  The first time I was here I spent a lot of writing time in a chair in this spot.  Good writing energy here.


Right behind the Large Dorm where I'm staying is a stacked stone wall and on the other side of the wall is the kitchen herb garden.  All of the food has fresh herbs.

 



Today's dinner was meatloaf, roasted squash, twice baked mashed potatoes, autumn salad with maple vinaigrette, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.  There are no words.  They don't serve supper tonight so I'm going to an outdoor restaurant with some of the writers  I won't go hungry.

 

 

I'm having a very good time this week.  I've been taking walks and doing a lot of writing.  It's great to be with this group of women.  We've all been together at least once here and the support and encouragement is unsurpassed.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

No wonder you love your time at The Clearing. It sounds perfect in every way. You're going to come home so inspired! And thanks for blogging whenever. You're a sweetheart!!!