Friday, July 30, 2021

Feeding the Birds

Today the feeders were where the action was.  No hawk to break up the monotony of songbirds.  The House Finches were out in force on the platform feeder.  It's rare to see a mature male with the pinkish orange face and breast.  Usually all I see are the pale brown juveniles from this season's nests.



A couple Goldfinches stopped by for a seed snack.



And the Cardinal bullied his way through the House Finches.  He's quick to lunge at the other birds to drive them away.



In the afternoon a male Downy Woodpecker showed up.  First he stopped at the cob corn in back to see if the squirrels left anything and then he swooped down to the suet cakes for a little peck at them.




One of the squirrels did his level best to nibble away the rest of the suet pellets.  By suppertime the feeder was empty.  I'll wait a day or two before filling it again.  I can't afford to keep it full, it'd beggar me.



Tonight at Friday Night Knitting I finished the Gramma's Favorite washcloth I started last night.  I weighed the yarn and calculated when to turn and start the decreases and managed to end up with about 14" of yarn left.  Not bad.


Today's toss was a couple of neoprene ankle wraps left from my broken ankle days and an old camera case.

The prompt today said that scientists have discovered a cure for aging and you can choose any age to be.  What would you choose?  I said 45.  I loved my 40s, the kids were old enough to be pretty self-sufficient, we were doing a lot of diving with friends, and we traveled at least once a year to a dive destination.  Good times.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Birds, birds, birds and then a squirrel. Nice group of wildlife in your yard. I'd chose my sixties when we lived on Bald Eagle. That place still glows in my memory -- especially that view of the waterway.