Thursday, June 24, 2021

Rain

I awoke to rain slashing the window over my head and thunder in the distance.  We need rain so I wasn't too unhappy with it but I wanted to go to the grocery so I waited until it stopped and the sun peeked out before I went.  I got to the store and back before it rained again.  Whew.  And now it's raining again but the thunder and lightning have moved on.  After the last lightning strike fried my cable/DVR box I was nervous when the storm approached because I was recording a show (Midsomer Murders on PBS) but the lightning stayed far enough away.  Double whew.

I didn't have anything to take a picture of.  No new flowers blooming but I did think that these lawn weeds with their little yellow flowers were worth a shot.  I don't know what they are but I have a bunch of them.  Now that it's raining the grass will start growing again and I'll mow them all down but hopefully not until the spring for the self-propel part of the lawnmower comes in and LJ has time to install it.



However Dad's roses are showing off like crazy.  I thought this little one that's just opening with a raindrop in it was worth a photo.


 

The purple chrysanthemum is blooming as it has in previous years.  When it stops raining (maybe tomorrow) I'll go out with my little shears and cut off all the blooms and buds so that it blooms in the fall when it's supposed to.



I tried taking a photo of a Goldfinch in the honeysuckle.  As soon as I was all set he turned his back so that's the part of him you get to see.



I've been putzing along on the Chocolate Snow Day hat trying to make it last so I can knit on it tomorrow night at Friday Night Knitting.  I've got a couple more inches of hat body and then the crown decreases to go.


Today's toss was an old gray sweatshirt that I like but won't wear again.  I haven't worn it in years when it fit, I won't be wearing it now that it's too big.

The prompt today asked what general subject you have special knowledge of.  I have general knowledge of a special subject, that's scuba diving, but I don't think I have special knowledge of a general subject.  Maybe I could expound on something like English grammar and I used to know a lot about Geography but the map has changed so much in recent years I'm totally behind the times.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a shame the little yellow flowers will have to go next time you mow. What's the difference between a weed and a flower? Maybe they should be called a flowering weed. Also love the picture of the goldfinch -- even with his back turned. Still a good shot.