Saturday, June 5, 2021

Buds

When I went out in the heating-up morning to find things to show you, I found a few buds.  What drew me out of the house were the poppy buds.  Yesterday there was one starting to open, today there were about six.  Okay, four.



The other plant has a cluster of buds getting ready to pop too.




Even the peonies have buds.  No ants yet, just buds.  I've never known what draws ants to peony buds and flowers.  They must exude some sweet something that brings the ants.  I should look that up.



The last few days the cottonwood trees in the neighborhood have been enthusiastically floating their seed fluff all over.  I looked down into the center of this ostrich fern to see it filled with fluff.  All along the back of the house is a drift of fluff and along the edges of the driveways it's white with fluff.  I should probably hose off the air conditioner tomorrow to wash off the fluff that got pulled in.  Don't want the a/c to overheat!


I finished May Toe Cap #4 on the 31st and just got around to taking a picture.  I've just about knitted up all of this skein of yarn.  There's a walnut size ball of it left that I can't bear to throw away yet.


Today's toss was another stack of tee shirts.  I didn't realize that I had that many.  I couldn't bear to part with the shirt I got in Yellowstone last time I was there.  Maybe it can be a sleep shirt.

The prompt today was that you are a bird.  What secrets would you learn from your bird's eye view?  I didn't know about secrets but I was intrigued by the image of the world as a map from that altitude.

Speaking of birds I haven't seen a bird in two days.  No starlings, no robins, no house finches, no hummingbirds.  Maybe I'm just missing them or maybe they all flew north where it might be cooler or they're hunkered down in the shade.  I'm staying inside in this heat.  We hit 95 today.  Crazy.  I'm grateful for air conditioning.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

We watched golf on TV yesterday and the air was full of that same white fluff. They were in Ohio so I guess it's all over the Midwest. Peonies!!! Another flower I miss. Can't wait for yours to open.