Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Moonlight

I was closing the shade last night and there was the moon shining nearly full so I went out to take its picture.  Naturally the moon was hiding in the trees.  It never occurred to me that the porch was that much lower than the floor of the house but there is a step down so I had to maneuver to where the moon shown through the leaves of the trees.



Today we have day lilies.  Not the reddish ones, the plain old orange ones.  Only one plant is blooming, the one tucked next to the air conditioner, none of the other ones that aren't tucked against the house are sending up buds yet.


And we have birds.  I saw a gray blur and looked up to see a young Red-bellied Woodpecker come to the suet.



Then right after that a male Downy Woodpecker came too.  I saw the Hairy Woodpecker but it didn't stay long enough for a photo op.  It was a woodpecker day!


This little White-crowned Sparrow came and spent a lot of time pecking around in the fallen corn and seeds, and also had a bath.  He's smaller than the regular English Sparrows but he didn't have a problem chasing off the chipmunk that was trying to horn in on his food.


I ground up some grilled chicken breasts today and made some chicken salad spread.  I like it ground better than diced, it holds onto the mayo/yogurt/mustard and spices better than the chunks.  I'll toast a sandwich thin and smear it on for lunches.

I went to the farm stand for local strawberries and some sugarsnap peas so I spent the time that I'd have dedicated to finding something to toss cleaning and slicing berries and cutting the strings off the peas.  Naturally I had to sample them, more than once. Yum.

The prompt today asked you to draw a picture without thinking too much.  If what you drew was on the book cover, what would the book be about?  The only thing I can draw with any degree of skill is a palm tree so my book would be about an island, maybe running away to live on an island.  Not very imaginative, but it's all I've got.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Those day lilies are almost bursting off my computer screen. You do get the most incredible shots -- like the moon through the leaves. I knew your story would be about an island. Mine would be about "junking". With eBay, I can do a lot of "junking" without leaving home. Not so sure that's a good thing.