Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Chickadees

 It's usually impossible to catch a Chickadee on film, uh, digital, oh, in a picture (you know what I mean), but today two of them sat on the birdbath rim chatting and sipping so I got one shot of them together.  There was a third bird on one of the crooks but too far away to get in the frame.  Three at once!  Amazing.



I saw a splash of orange in the garden and went out to see that the butterfly weed hasn't been frozen out after all.  A white moth fluttering around it caught my eye.


 

And while I was looking at the butterfly weed flowers I noticed that there are blueberries growing on one of the bushes.  They're small and hard because we've had no real rain to speak of but there are blueberries.


 


This afternoon a Downy Woodpecker came to the suet cakes.  I think it's a good thing that the neighbors have feeders out too because I've had a lot more woodpeckers lately.  The Gray Catbird came for a bath and I have to say that it was the most thorough bath I've ever seen a bird take.  Even the Robins don't go all in like he did today.  I didn't take a picture because I was transfixed by his energy and splashing.


Today's toss was a black shirt/sweater that I really wanted to keep because it's so nice but I tried it on and it just hangs on me and the neckline is all wrong.  Out it went.

The prompt today said that your phone rings.  Who do you want it to be?  I said Durwood, always Durwood.  He's the one I want to talk to.  It's been nearly three years since he died and I miss him as much now as I did when he was first gone, it just doesn't hurt as much as it used to.

I've been on a hummus jag.  I have a WW recipe that is 0 points per serving so I've been having it with baby carrots and sugarsnap peas as an afternoon snack.  I've been so hungry lately but I'm working hard to stick with the food plan so a "free" snack is a godsend.  First batch I made plain, the second batch I added roasted red peppers, and tonight's batch I put in a few green olives and thinned it with olive brine.  Now I wish I had basil plants so I can make a pesto batch next time.  Maybe I can find basil leaves in the grocery?

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Publix always has basil plants for sale so maybe yours does too. They're very pretty plants and could live in your window. Blueberries coming soon. I see pancakes in your future.