Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Wow!

I went over to the brewery this morning to drop off the old Shel Silverstein books for LC to read (because her daddy loved them so) and was amazed to see the price of gas at the two stations nearby.  Ninety-nine and nine-tenths cents per gallon.  I don't remember the last time gas was that cheap.  You'd better bet I stopped and filled up.  I got half a tank of gas for under $6.  Can't beat that with a stick.


It's back to being winter.  I wore my winter coat today and at noon the temperature was 32 degrees and I don't even want to know what the wind chill was. Suffice to say that I wished there was a hood on my coat while I stood outside pumping gas.  This morning the birdbath was half frozen and I took its picture but the SD card in the camera wasn't working so I can't show you but then I'm sure you can imagine a shallow dish of water that's frozen halfway around.



I was happy to see that one of the hyacinths grew a flower stalk that has more than two flowers on it so I picked it and tucked it into the vase with the daffodils.  It smells terrific.  (That's why it was Dad's favorite flower, I'm sure.)  I'm glad I started picking the daffodils.  They sure are pretty and it cheers me up to look at them.




This afternoon I piled up on the couch with my knitting and The Great British Baking Show on Netflix and added a couple inches to the Baktus scarf.  I'll be happy when I get to the middle and start to decrease.  It'll go much faster on the way down.


14 April--Wilted.  

Sprinkle of yellow pollen
drifts across the oak table,
glitters in a shaft of sunlight
from the bleached denim sky.
Petal falls,
blossom droops,
yesterday's flowers
wilting in their vase.
~~~~~

I am not psychologically ready for it to be this cold again.  Last Tuesday I went out without a coat or jacket, not even a hoodie.  Today I put on wool socks, lined leggings, a flannel dress, and my winter coat.  And there were snow showers, nothing stuck, but still.  Cruel, cruel weather.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Amazing price for gas! Glad you were out and could take advantage of it. A little good thing in this dreadful time. And I'm talking about Covid19 -- as well as your unrelenting winter! Good thing you picked those daffodils when you did.

Today's poem:

What to do while I'm stuck in jail?
Write my thoughts -- a sad, sad tale.