Friday, April 17, 2020

Daffodils

I forget how much I love flowers until the daffodils start blooming.  Each one is its own individual.  I especially like the different shapes of the centers, the trumpets, of each one.  This one is a traditional daffodil, all yellow with a long, straight cylinder of a trumpet.






This one has yellow petals and a shallow, orange ruffled center trumpet.





And this one has white petals with a huge orange center.  I can't tell if it's going to coalesce into a trumpet shape or stay spread out like it is now.  I think each one is prettier than the last one.





I got a kick out of this squirrel sitting back on the crook that holds the corn.  It used its tail to keep its balance, flicking it up and down as it nibbled on a kernel of corn.  Part of the time it hung by its back feet and used its front feet to embrace the cob of corn, then the tail was over the top of the crook like another hold.





This afternoon I knuckled down to a bit of writing.  I confess that I'm having the devil of a time focusing these days but I was determined so I printed off a few pages that need work, picked a paragraph, and got my fingers busy.  I may not have done much good but at least I did something.  Something's better than nothing.




Yesterday I finished the first half of the 3-Bean Chili so today I started the second half of the Chicken Veg soup.  There's nothing more warming than a steaming bowl of soup.  With Ritz crackers.  Luxurious.




For an afternoon snack I mixed up some Creamy PB Dip using the chocolate PB powder.  It isn't very chocolatey but it's good, maybe even better than the regular PB powder dip.  It's a good thing there's a farmer's market tomorrow because I'm down to one apple.  I need more!


17 April--Stained.  

Down the row her sunhat bounces,
pops up and down like a yo-yo.
Her hand reaches under the leaves,
finds the ripe, red strawberries.
Some she puts in the basket,
many go straight into her mouth.
By the time we're done picking
she is stained pink from 
nose to belly button.
"Good berries?" the farmer asks.
She nods, hiding behind me.
"You should have weighed her," I say.
We laugh.
~~~~~


It was a little warmer today, into the 40s, but still windy and that wind made me cold all day.  Of course I wore something that wasn't as warm as my usual attire so my hands and feet were cold most of the day.  I finally got smart and put on a wool sweater, now I'm warm.  Now that it's almost time to go to bed.  It's supposed to keep getting warmer but also stay windy.  I'd like little or no wind, please.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love the parade of daffodils and your apple snack is pretty as a picture. Nabisco would like your picture of soup and Ritz crackers -- especially the "luxurious" description. Definitely "Puttin' on the Ritz."

Today's poem:

Will five words count? Is that a good amount?