Saturday, April 4, 2020

Cookery

Today was an Investment Cooking day.  First I put together the Slow Cooker Three-Bean Chili (10 servings).  Well, it was more like five bean chili because I had two cans of black beans but only one each of kidney and pinto beans, however, I had a can of cannellini beans and one of great northern beans so in they went.  (I figured that beans are beans.) Halfway through the cooking time (3 hours on High) I realized that I'd forgotten to put in the two cans of diced tomatoes (yes, eight cans of ingredients), so I dumped them in and added another hour to the cooking time.  I couldn't believe that I forgot the tomatoes, and I even checked the recipe.  *head, slap*  I had a sample taste at the end of the cooking time and the onions and poblano peppers were still a bit firm so I put it on Low for another hour.  Perfect! (oh, the homemade Chili Seasoning II from AllRecipes is way better than the store-bought stuff)


Next I made Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies (6 servings).  I didn't have any fresh broccoli but I had a head of cabbage so I cut wedges of that and roasted it with the sausage, onions, and mini peppers.  While it was roasting I thought I should have put some carrots in there so I peeled some, cut them into chunks, and roasted them separately.  Of course I forgot to take a picture before I portioned it out so you get to see it in the Tupperware on the way to the freezer.  I eat this either over brown rice or folded, fajita like, in a flour tortilla.  Both ways are delish.


It was beautifully sunny this afternoon so I went out and did some raking.  It snowed before all the trees dropped their leaves last fall so there are lots of leaves flattened to the grass.  I figure if I do a bit at a time it won't be such a huge job.  Tomorrow I'll take a tarp out and move these leaves to the curb along with the patio and backyard leaves that I previously raked into a pile.


The daffodils have started blooming.  Something nibbled off two of them (darned, rabbits) but these two survived.  Pretty soon there'll be too many for the rabbits to eat them all.  I hope.  Fingers crossed.


The final Investment Cooking recipe today was Loaded Up Chicken Bake (6 servings).  It's like a loaded baked potato without the potato.  Yummy.  I decided to make it at suppertime so I could have a piece and then freeze the rest in portions, which I did.



I went out to fill the birdbath before closing the patio curtains to find a three-quarter moon shining down on me.  I know it looks full but, trust me, it isn't.  One day I'll read my camera manual (which I wish was on paper instead of a download) to see if there isn't a way to take a decent moon picture.


04 April--Shadows.

Lying under the maple tree
on a sunny day,
rays slant down to cast
leaf shadows that dance
on the grass.
Flying birds arrow shadows
from maple to oak.
Child becomes giant
in late afternoon,
only connected by
sneaker clad feet. 
~~~~~

I'm staying partly sane being all alone day after day.  I talk on the phone to my writing partner every day to share the poetry prompt and email or text Lala so I'm not like in solitary confinement but it kind of feels like it.  I'm trying to devote each day to one big thing--cooking, raking, sewing--to stretch things out so I don't get stuff done too quickly and then have nothing to do.  I am not making brownies tomorrow, no matter how much they're dancing around in my mind.  I don't need brownies and don't need to spend the 2 eggs on something that I'd only eat too quickly and then feel bad about.  I'll make Jello with fruit instead.  Maybe.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Once again the two Barbaras are in sync. Yesterday I added Jello to my grocery list. I hear you about the solitary confinement feeling. Since Paul is so very, very silent, I feel the same way. Doing what you're doing -- trying to have one activity a day but you're so much more productive. All that food looks delicious. And of course I love the moon shot -- full or not, it looks beautiful to me.