Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Welcome Back

When I got dressed after my shower this morning a sock fell out of the shirt I put on.  It was the mate to an orphan sock that has been lurking in my sock drawer for months.  I knew that the sock was stuck inside some winter garment but had no clue which one it was.  Turns out it was a red, mock turtleneck that I put on today because I was going downstairs to sew and it's not warm in the basement.



And here's what I sewed.  I bought a new long-sleeved tee shirt pattern a while back, cut it out a couple weeks ago, and sewed it up today.  It's been a while since I sewed with a knit like this one (not cotton).  I'd forgotten how slippery it is and how easily it gets shoved under the soleplate of the machine.  Fortunately I was able to poke the fabric back through the plate and save it.  I haven't tried it on yet, I'll do that tomorrow.  I hope it fits.  If I like it I've got more fabric to cut out more shirts.  Of course I do.




It started raining this afternoon, then it stopped, started up again, stopped, poured this evening for a short time, stopped, and is supposed to come back with a vengeance later with thunder and wind.  Guess I'll be sewing tomorrow too.


28 April--Pleased.  

Hello there, I say,
I'm pleased to see you.
It has taken three months
to find the shirt
where the orphan sock
was hiding.

I knew it would emerge
sooner or later.
I'd be dressing one morning,
the sock would drop out
of a shirt or dress or leggings.
That it took so long means
I have too many clothes.
~~~~~

It's kind of sad that the reappearance of a sock warrants this much excitement.  And I took its picture.  Although I did have to go to Walgreens today for some stuff which was pretty darned exciting.  There were a lot more cars in the lot than I expected and all of the other customers I saw were unmasked.  I was masked, the employees were masked.  People are silly, especially old people.  Cases are surging in the county which makes me want to wear a hazmat suit and respirator.  Or maybe my scuba gear.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Even though it was a rainy day, that shirt you made is certainly cheerful. Love that fabric. GB was mentioned in the national news yesterday re cases vs. tests. Can't understand why people aren't wearing masks. They should all be sent to their room -- alone!!! Glad you're being careful.

Today's poem:

Hanging in through thick and thin;
But eager for it to end can't be a sin.