Thursday, April 16, 2020

Growing Things

I bundled up this morning and went out to fill the feeders.  While I was out there shivering (38 degrees with 29 degrees wind chill in the middle of April, bah) I checked to see what's popped up.  The rhubarb is going great guns,




the chives are sprouting,


 


and the "little cabbages" of the sedum have nosed out between last year's stems and leaves.  If it ever warms up I'll go out and get rid of last year's dead leaves and stems so that this year's growth has room.






The rabbit is still biting off the daffodil buds and flowers.  These are the ones I saved yesterday. I'm fascinated with how different the center trumpets are on the various daffodils.  These are shallow and ruffled. The ones I saved today haven't fully opened yet.  You'll see those tomorrow.



Speaking of yesterday, I found a file folder of copies of a humorous newsletter DD wrote and sent to her chorus camp friends along with other mementos of her high school days.  So today I boxed it all up and the mailman will pick it up tomorrow.  I hope.  I put a birthday card out to be picked up today but it's still here.  Now it'll be late but maybe if the carrier has a notice to pick up a package he'll pick up the card too.  I can but hope.



Once I warmed up with a bowl of 3-bean chili for lunch I sat and knitted on Car Knitting Warshrag #18 while listening to an audiobook.  I know I'm not knitting this in a car but there's a car printed on the bag that it lives in and once I'm back in my car and not stuck in the house it'll go back out there.  Maybe.



16 April--Sweat.  

Hand reaches out,
hesitates,
grasps the knob,
turns.
Silent hinges swing
heavy oak door,
deep carpet,
steps are soundless.
Heart pounding,
knees weak,
a trickle of sweat
down the spine.

Interview
~~~~~


Well, my good camera is indeed on the fritz.  I downloaded the manual (all 326 pages of it; I didn't print it) and scrolled to the Troubleshooting pages.  I followed the steps for what to do if your camera won't turn on and nothing happened.  Nothing.  So I guess I use the old point-and-shoot until the stay at home orders end (at the end of May) and I can take the camera to the fixit shop.  *sigh*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Those rhubarb leaves are so impressive. Even without the actual stalks, it makes a statement. Of course, a rhubarb pie is an even better statement. All the sprouting happening in your yard is wonderful to see. Our "spring" flower is the Fangipani that blooms from the completely barren stalks and it's like a miracle every year. Can't believe your mailman passed you by again. He must have blinders on.

Today's poem:

Words won't come. Does that mean I'm dumb?