Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Good Meemaw

LC and OJ were disappointed the other day when I dropped off masks for DS and DIL1 but didn't have masks for them.  I do now.  I made two styles: the formed one with a nose wire and bias tape ties, and the plain pleated one with ear elastics.  Since I can't have them try them on while I stand there and see which one is best I made one of each for each of them and these have flannel on the skin side so they're soft on tender skin.  I was sure I didn't have any flannel but a woman who has made herself a half dozen flannel dresses has plenty of scraps to be used.


The purple striped crocuses showed up and opened up in today's sunshine.  So pretty.  But something fuzzy has eaten the purple crocuses.  Bunnies, I'll bet.  Grr.


Speaking of small furry critters, the chipmunk is having fun hogging the seeds in the platform feeder.  It quickly shinnies up the crook, inside the Slinky, and hops onto the feeder where it packs its cheek pouches fending off any bird that comes for some seed.




More of the squills have bloomed. They're so small and so white that they really don't show up well.  I suppose if I laid on the grass and took a picture from that level they'd be more visible but I'm just not ready to sprawl on the lawn.  Getting up wouldn't be pretty.


I didn't have anything simple to knit (which is about all I'm up to these days) so I found an easy pattern online and some yarn downstairs and cast on a shawl/scarf thing.  You use two different yarns, alternate every two rows, increasing a stitch every fourth row, until you use half of the yarn, then you start decreases until you get back down to four stitches.  I had two variegated colors of the same yarn so I'm using that.  I think I'll like the finished product and it doesn't require a lot of thought.  My kind of project right now.


02 April--Rouge.  

Grandma Babe blots her lipstick,
uses the stained tissue
to rouge her cheeks.
Double-duty beauty.
~~~~~

Oh, that was a hard one.  I tried to think of something else but nothing came to mind.  I even gave myself permission to write about "red" since rouge is the French word for red but that didn't help either.  So I guess we get what we get.  I promise to do better tomorrow.  Now that I think about it I could have written a song of praise to my red shoes, all five pairs of them.  Ah well.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are definitely the good MeeMaw. And the good niece. Paul and I are accepting a donation of a mask (in case you run out of things to do!). I made one out of a paper towel but I don't think it would be very efficient or last very long. Bunnies are the pane of our existence down here. All the shrubs along our front walkway have been devoured by those monsters. Right now I don't even like the Easter Bunny. Love your little poem today -- especially the mention of Grandma Babe. I think she actually did that trick with lipstick.