Monday, April 20, 2020

Clean

There is one exceptionally clean robin in the area.  It came to the birdbath this afternoon and nearly splashed out all of the water in its enthusiasm.  It would splash around, hop onto the edge to shake off and preen, then turn around and hop back into the water for another splash.  It did that probably a half-dozen times before it was satisfied.  It even flew away to peck at the fallen seed, then went right back into the bath.  Must have needed a mid-bath snack.



I picked more daffodils this morning.  These have pale pale yellow, almost white petals and a bright yellow trumpet.  I think it's the last variation of daffodil in my collection.  I can't resist picking some hyacinths too for the fragrance.  It smells so good that I stay at the table just to smell it.






The white squills are still blooming great guns.  I wish they weren't so washed out in the picture.  They have a faint blue stripe down the center of each side that I think you can barely see.  So tiny and delicate.





I added a few rows to the Car Knitting Warshrag #18 today.  I went outside this afternoon to clean up the dead leaves and flowers from the sedum, hostas, and daylilies on the retaining wall.  Just as I finished up it started to sprinkle.  Good time to come in and knit.



Around 8 o'clock tonight we had a fast-moving thunderstorm sweep through.  It rained hard, the wind was strong, there was a little thunder and lightning, and then it was gone.  But the sunset was pretty with the pale orange at the horizon and the ragged trailing edge of the storm.


20 April--Navy.  

Rows of interchangeable girls
lined up for Mass,
lace caps over their hair,
trussed up like baby nuns
in their navy and white uniforms.
Modestly covered,
skirts to the knees,
homogenized
but not Stepford-ized,
yet.
~~~~~

That was a hard word to write a poem about.  Dad was in the navy but I don't know much about that.  Catholic school uniforms I know plenty about.  Those navy blue jumpers were awful and I don't know how we didn't freeze to death in winter when we couldn't wear pants, only tights.  I was so very glad to go to public high school and be done with uniforms, except for our horrid flamingo pink gym suits.  Ugh.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Like a stroll through your day in pictures. That robin looked as if he might be singing as he bathed. And the little blue stripe does show up on the sweet white flowers. The sunset topped it all off. Really nice.

Today's poem:

Get out in the kitchen and cook like mad. Activity like that can't be bad.