Friday, April 10, 2020

Quiet Day

About the only thing I did today was fill the birdfeeders--and I wore my winter coat and gloves to do it.  It was 36 degrees when I awoke this morning with a "feels like" temperature of  27 degrees.  Yikes!  We're supposed to get freezing rain and snow on Easter afternoon.  The weather guy advised everyone to have their Easter egg hunt tomorrow because that will be the best day of the weekend.  Goody.



As soon as I poured the safflower seed into the platform feeder a pair of chickadees were there to pick up one seed at a time and then stand on the edge of the feeder to get the nut out of the shell.  They took turns and didn't seem to mind that I was filling the other feeders.  I sat for a minute with a hand full of sunflower seeds but it was too chilly to be patient enough.  One day I'll get a chickadee to eat from my hand.





For the rest of the day and evening I read an ebook.  It's been ages since I've read a book instead of listening to it but there's a series I like and I'm up to the ones that our library only owns the ebook and not the audiobook of, so I'm reading books.  Good thing I'm not hoping for book books because the libraries here are closed like just about everything else except groceries.



I know I've been complaining about losing my knitting mojo and was heartened to read in this post on Mason-Dixon Knitting that I'm not the only one who has lost focus.  I read through the comments to this post and just about every one says "I can't focus, I'm knitting dishcloths."  I don't feel so out of it now.


One of my knitting friends live-streamed an hour long concert of sacred music last night and tonight.  I caught part of last night's hour but listened to the entire hour tonight.  I haven't been to church in years but it was nice. to hear and sing along to the songs I knew. 

10 April--Freezer.  

Clear sky, cold front
sweeps in from the west.
Icy wind makes waves
on the birdbath,
turns them to ice
overnight.
~~~~~

How do you write a poem about a freezer?  Trust me, I tried, and then went with something freezing.  I'll be anxious to hear what ACJ makes of this one.  She reads mine here and then reads me what she wrote when I call to give her the day's word.  We're both really enjoying it.

Tomorrow is the drive thru Farmer's Market in the neighborhood.  I'll go looking for mushrooms.  I want fresh mushrooms, I don't know why, but I'm craving them.  I hope they have them.  Also my renter offered to help me finish raking the front yard and I'm taking her up on the offer.  I've been working at it a bit at a time (when it isn't too windy, which it has been the last few days) so her help with get the job done.  Once and for all.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Checking in to say "Hey" -- That's my poem for today.

That chickadee was so hungry she didn't care that you were close by. At least the birds aren't sheltering in place! Thank goodness. And also thank goodness I checked out five books from the library the day before they closed. Reading number five now but I've always got my never-ending diaries and journals to catch up on my past life. Can't believe how much my friend Nola and I shared all those years ago. At least one really long email every day.