Saturday, April 25, 2020

Winter Damage

This afternoon I went out to clean the birdbath and take out the heater.  My plan was to unroll the hose a bit and use a brush and the spray nozzle to clean out the green gunk.  That plan was delayed by my discovery that the hose caddy was busted.  The hub of the winder broke off and was coming out and then when I had wrestled out the fifty feet of hose (it didn't want to come nicely, I had to tug out every foot of it) and got the caddy unhooked and the hose on the spigot only to discover that the Y-connector on the spigot is cracked so that water sprays merrily when it's turned on.  By then I had had it so I tolerated the spray from the Y-connector and cleaned the birdbath.  When I was done I heaped the hose back where the caddy had been.  I'll deal with it later after I install a new Y.



Then I went out to drag the birdie tree out to the curb.  The honeysuckle leaves are starting to pop and I don't want vines to grow into the tree.  The tree was still green and supple; must be because it was cut the day I bought it (in a snowstorm) instead of a month before.  It was heavy but I managed since it's mostly downhill.  Then I got out some shears to cut back last year's pampas grass which I leave up to provide some winter interest.  Oh, I should have trimmed the rose canes too.  I can do that tomorrow.





One more daffodil.  This is the last one, I promise.  Because it's really the last bloom.





After I hauled the birdie tree and trimmed the pampas grass I filled the birdfeeders and was lucky enough to look up just as this bluejay winkled a peanut out.  In the next second it flew away but it, or  one of its pals, came back again and again until a squirrel chased them away.




There was a pretty sunset this evening.  I love the ones that turn the very air pink, don't you?


25 April--Premature.  

I worry early and often.
Borrow trouble, Mom said.
I tried to teach my children
not to,
but think I failed
or maybe half-failed.
I battle premature worry
at every bump in life's road.
I think I have too much
imagination.
~~~~~

Meh.  Not my finest hour.  Too many "I"s.  Ah well, I'll have another chance tomorrow and for four more days, then we go back to prose. 

This morning I had a Zoom meeting with my kids and grandkids..  I love Zoom, it's almost like being together.  I really needed it.  Combined with last night's Zoom knitting it made me feel almost normal.  Almost.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Isn't there a song or a poem or something about "the last rose of summer?" You gave us the last daffodil of spring. And it's a very pretty one. Just like that pink sunset. Beautiful. You had a very productive day and your backyard looks quite tidy. Glad you got to "get out" via Zoom!!

Today's poem:

Plenty of books to read so far. Plus my old diaries where I'm the star!