Monday, April 6, 2020

Grill!

I had my (marginal) wits about me this morning and thawed out a package of little chuck eye steaks to cook on the grill tonight.  That was the real reason I raked the leaves off the patio yesterday so I could get the grill out easily.




And I baked the sweet potato that I got at the drive-thru farmer's market a week ago, so along with some nuked broccoli I had a feast.  It was all I could do not to just shovel the food in.  It tasted so good--and there's the other half for tomorrow night.  Yum.




This morning I sorted through Mom's hoard of bias binding and half filled this basket with the size I need for mask ties, color coordination will go out the window the more masks I make.




Then I spent the rest of the day sewing up six pleated-style masks--two with elastic (not so successful), four with ties (more successful and easier to wear).  The elastic makes them too tight.  I even added two inches onto the elastic pieces on the second one and it's still too snug.  I'll stick with the ties.  Tomorrow I plan to cut out more of the formed masks and get those sewed up and sent out later this week.  I can sew a wire into those for a better fit since the seam allowance is a bit wider so it's easier to sew the wires onto it and not break needles or have to make a pocket for it.


07 April--Wimpy.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday
for a hamburger today,"
said Wimpy to Popeye
in the old cartoons.
Did he ever get a burger?
Did Tuesday ever come?

Words make movies
play in my head.
Out of the wayback
they come, 
triggered to life
by chance. 
~~~~~

I'm enjoying Poetry Month and calling ACJ every day around 1pm to share the daily prompt.  We talk for a few minutes about this and that, birds and grandkids and grown kids, before we hang up to go tackle the prompt.  We both remembered Wimpy from Popeye and I joked that quote would be the beginning of both of our poems.  I'll let you know if that turns out to be true.

Good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That loot of your mom's is like have a store in your basement. Does that one mask have golf tees on it? Could be perfect for a golfer we both know and love. Your steak dinner looks delish. And your patio and grill look ready for summertime. Glad you're having the daily conversation with your writing buddy. The poem today is perfect. We do all remember Wimpy!!