Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Windy

Man, was it windy today.  Before I got up a big gust knocked over the Rubbermaid can I keep the backyard broom, rake, garden clogs, and bamboo stakes it.  I wasn't foolish enough to go out to stand it up because the wind blew like crazy all day and I knew it'd get blown down again.  I get it upright when the wind dies down.


The gas man stopped and marked the line so that the city tree planters can come to plant a new tree in my yard and not blow up the neighborhood.  I got a notice a couple weeks ago that they're coming soon.  Last week they came and marked the spot with paint.  Today the gas man came.  Maybe next week the tree people will come.





I managed to get a decent shot of the rings in the birdbath one time when the wind died down a bit and it wasn't raining too hard.  What a crap day it was.  No birds.



In the afternoon I went downstairs to sew up a couple pairs of leggings I cut out a while back.  I sewed up the navy ones but discovered that the fabric doesn't have the needed stretch.  At least I didn't waste elastic on it.  However the gray ones have the stretch so they got hems and waistband elastic.  I'm wearing my new shirt, under a sweater because I got chilly, but it fits and feels great.




Stuck-at-Home Warshrag #3 is over half done.  I love watching the play of colors in variegated yarn and I love the combo of red, orange, and purple.  When I first learned to knit I made some fingerless mitts out of yarn those colors and, I think, I ended up giving them to a McDonalds drive-thru woman when it was freezing.


29 April--River.  

Flood

Spring storm blows
in from the west,
stalls for a day.
Wind out of the northeast
piles water into the river,
washes over the banks.
~~~~~

Not my best effort.  I just couldn't wring anything else out of my brain.  Oh, I tried, but nothing even remotely better squirted out the end of my pencil.  Mercifully, there's only one more day to Poetry Month and then we can get back to prose.  Whew.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay!! You're getting a tree. Good for Green Bay for keeping your neighborhood beautiful. I love the pictures you've posted when the leave turn. Sounds like April is blowing out with vigor. That shot of the birdbath proves it.

Today's poem:

At long last, April is ending
This is the last poem I'll be sending.

Whew!!!